Monday, April 25, 2011

Songs - Part 3

"Are you sure you should be going?" Fey'qua'ri asked. He and Shre'ka sat resting on a sun baked rock by the stream that ran nearby the village. Sunlight glittered brightly off the water's surface, marred only by the shadows of leaves cast by a zephyr sighing through the trees growing along the riverbank. "What does Ar'mari think?"

Shre'ka made a face, tugging her mentor's ear affectionately. "I will be fine! It will be several moon cycles before it will be obvious I am with cubs. Our People are strong. One hunt isn't going to hurt me." She sighed when Fey'qua'ri's worried expression didn't improve. "Ar'mari said it would be all right," she grumbled, avoiding her foster parent's searching look.

"But she'd rather you stayed here," Fey'qua'ri added, pressing the issue.

Shre'ka's ears went to half mast. She swatted her mentor lightly on the shoulder. "If you have already spoken with her, why are you asking me?" she growled, annoyed. "Ar'mari said I am not physically hindered. I wake up in the mornings and lose my food sometimes, that's all."

The old shaman frowned. "Make sure you eat enough. And get plenty to drink. Especially if you're the one they have sitting in hiding waiting to ambush prey they drive to you."

Shre'ka shook her head, smiling in spite of herself, and leaned over to give Fey'qua'ri a hug. "I'm not the first female to ever have cubs, you know. Such a fuss you are making! And Zas'khan, too! He treats me as if I could break like one of Har'muwl's clay pots! And Kast'na's mate, Sa'di, has been bringing me a honeyed spice tea every morning since it became known I am with cubs!"

Fey'qua'ri backed his ears. "We just want to make sure you are well, that's all. Having cubs is a happy time, my daughter, but it can also be dangerous."

Shre'ka recalled her mentor's mate, Sa'o'la, who died in childbirth. She leaned against Fey'qua'ri, sliding an arm about his waist as he wrapped one about her shoulders. "I know," she said gently. "And I know you are all just looking out for me." She smiled. "But everything will be fine. I did not think I would be mated to Zas'khan but that worked out, didn't it? I got to stay with the Ra'van'ti, didn't I? All is well now. Sa'uuk ah meh yah. There is nothing to fear."

Her mentor sighed, then gave her an affectionate lick on the forehead. "I suppose you are right," he rumbled in reluctant agreement as he stood, helping Shre'ka to her feet. "Still, for the sake of your worrisome Sa'uuk Mo'at, please be careful."

Shre'ka grinned. "I will," she replied. "But it's not like I will be alone. All the new couples are going. Now, is there something special we can try to bring back for you? We are hoping to run across a herd of din'gu, or maybe even bring down a tran'ta or better yet, a tu'volth if we are lucky! And I know Mar'lo, Bo'ku, and Zas'khan are wanting to do some fishing as well for Fan'tara. But what can we bring back for the Sa'uuk Mo'at of the Ra'van'ti?" she finished, gesturing with elaborate respect.

The old shaman though a moment, then smiled. "Some fowl would be nice."

Shre'ka laughed. "That's cub prey!"

Fey'qua'ri grinned as they walked back to the village. "Maybe so, but they are quite delicious!"

********

Sa'di hummed softly to herself as she wandered the forest near the Ra'van'ti village, noting the various flowers and plants growing nearby. The vegetation was different from what she was used to, but with Ar'mari and Fa'o's help, she had learned a great deal in the short time since she had joined her mate's People.

She had found a tree, its trunk covered in a profusion of go'la flower vines, and was sniffing one of the sweet smelling blossoms in delight when she felt a preternatural chill. Backing her ears, she looked about worriedly, then gasped when a dark figure detached itself from the shadows of a nearby tree and approached her.

Frightened, she dropped her basket and started to turn to run, but the figure waved a skeletal clawed hand before her.

"You do not need to fear," the shadow shrouded figure hissed.

Sa'di's face relaxed into a blank stare. "I do not need to fear," she replied.

The figure reached forward, pulling the go'la vines aside to expose a low growing plant with broad ebony star-shaped leaves. The hand waved before her, gesturing to the plant. "You will make a tea of this plant for Shre'ka."

Sa'di looked down at the uncovered seedling and nodded. "I will make a tea of this plant for Shre'ka."

"You will give the tea to her to drink every morning."

"I will give the tea to her to drink every morning."

A toothy smile glinted within the shadow. "You will not remember I was here."

"I will not remember you were here."

Ca'el'esh faded quietly away, leaving Sa'di standing befuddled for several minutes.

Finally, she blinked and shook her head, looking about her, perplexed. Seeing nothing, she shrugged, then smiled, looking at the go'la flowers once more. She began to pick some, then noticed the dark star leafed plant underneath. And without knowing exactly why, she plucked several leaves and put them in her basket.

To be continued...

1 comment: